Thursday, November 14, 2013

They are without excuse

I had a conversation with someone the other day about unbelievers. The other persons opinion was that unbelievers truly don't know or believe in God or a Higher Being. I totally disagree. I totally disagreed long before I found scripture to back it and long before I even knew how to read and understand scripture. Long before I could read and comprehend the Bible, before I understood the sacrifice of the Cross or the significance of being Baptized, I knew that something much grander than myself or someone like me made a mountain, and the ocean, and a butterfly and a fuzzy pup. I knew that something much grander than a human engineered the peace of a forest floor layered in pine needles on cool fall morning, and the majesty of rushing water over small waterfall into the deep pool below, and orchestrated the dance of stars and moons and planets across the sky, each moving to their mark, just when they are supposed to! Even as a an ignorant child, I knew these things didn't just 'happen' by accident or some bizarre coincidence. The next verse tells you how I knew, and how you knew it also, and how EVERYONE knew it then and knows it now, whether they admit it or not. 


Romans 1:19-21

New King James Version (NKJV)
19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

Turns out, I was right! God is REAL!! And as is also turns out, we are each ingrained with this knowledge without anyone having to tell us. "Unbelievers" and "atheists" know it too... they just choose to deny it, refuse to acknowledge it the truth of it. That does not make it less true. They say they want 'PROOF'. I wonder how much proof it takes to convince someone who has become 'futile' in his thinking? Can they not see the green in the grass, hear the song birds? See the mountains rise? Can they not see the adaptability of Gods Creatures to their environments? I have to wonder about someone who cannot see the wonder of God in the face of a newborn baby. I think maybe they have to have an epiphany of their own to show them God is real, rather than have someone try to teach them.

Romans 1:21-25

New King James Version (NKJV)
21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.
24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, 25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.  (underlining and emphasis is mine)

There are many times when we don't want to believe that something is true: when its bad news about a relative, a job situation or something big we were trying for and it fell through. But, we know that we have to face facts. People who are 'unbelievers', 'agnostics', or 'atheist' have the truth embedded in them, but they may have buried it pretty deep for whatever reason. Perhaps they didn't have any religious teaching in the home growing up, or they were brought up strictly under religious law, and want no more of it. But scripture says the knowledge is there, and they have no excuse. (Romans 1:20).

You know, humans are difficult creatures to understand. We take the simplest of situations and make them as difficult as Chinese arithmetic! It's like we just refuse to understand things out of pure stubbornness sometimes. I am not eliminating myself here. I know of several situations where I had to learn the same lesson about 5 times before I caught on!! And there are many verses in the Bible that are written out plain as day, but most people will not take them at face value. Maybe they just aren't ready to receive it yet. 

I hope you will take this opportunity to open your Bible and read the scriptures I listed here, and more! I find it hard to stop once I start reading. Its very interesting reading. Read it, pray for understanding, but read. Learn what the scriptures say, for your own sake. You need to know, so that you'll know that  you're pastor is on the right path, and so you'll know that you are too!

My next blog is going to be about how pastors lead us astray. Stay tuned!


Love yall. 
Susan





b

No comments:

Post a Comment